Afro Innovation Group

How to apply for a home office travel document

You can apply for a document to travel outside the UK if you’re not British and can’t use or get a passport from your country.


You must be living in the UK for one of the following reasons:

you have permission to stay as a refugee or stateless person
you have humanitarian protection for a limited time after a failed asylum application
you have discretionary leave for a limited time after a failed asylum application
you’re settled here permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must show that you’ve formally applied for and been unreasonably refused a passport by authorities in your country, unless you have permission to be in the UK as a refugee or stateless person.

You’ll need to provide evidence that supports your application – use original documents, not photocopies.

Types of travel documents

There are 4 different types you can apply for, depending on your status.

Your status Type of travel document         |Adult fee         | Child (15 or under) fee              | Fee if born before Sept 1929

Refugee Convention travel document         £72                      £46                                                  £0

Stateless Stateless person’s document        £72                      £46                                                  £0

You want to leave and not come back
One-way document ( IS137)                          £72                      £46                                                  £72

Refused a passport by your own national
authorities Certificate of travel                   £267                     £134                                               £218

Afro Innovation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.